Happy Birthday, Renee! And Happy Valentine's Day To All!

On the minute chance that Renee Fleming is reading my blog, I would like to wish her a happy birthday. I hope that it is a joyous occasion of much merriment and celebratory of her marvelous life thus far. May God continue to bless her throughout the year, and may she have a marvelous time doing whatever it is that famous opera singers do on their birthdays.

While we are on the subject of Renee's birthday, my local classical music radio station plays pieces throughout the day either composed or performed by artists whose birthday it is on whatever day, but for the past two years I have yet to hear them acknowledge Renee's birthday once. Each year, I look forward to a pleasant day of hearing the majority of selections played being sung by Renee, but each year I am disappointed that I hear nothing by her. What do they play today? I should not complain so much about it since I love the Baroque repertoire, but they are airing the second act of Purcell's Dido and Aeneas because a local university is performing the work this week.

As you have read, I have been listening to the radio today. Naturally, I heard the Met's broadcast of Peter Illych Tchaikovsky's Eugene Onegin, and I quite enjoyed hearing Karita Mattila in the role of Tatiana. Thomas Hampson portrayed the title character exceptionally well vocally, and Piotr Beclaza is a fine tenor. Just this week, he has been in Rigoletto, Eugene Onegin, and Lucia di Lammermoor. We may just have the next Pavarotti on our hands.

I am anxious to hear Placido Domingo in Francesco Cilea's Adriana Lecouvrer, which Rudolph Bing did not like, next week broadcast from the Met. It will be a look into the past of sorts, and I am excited.

Thank you all for reading, and God bless you.
-Tyler.

Comments

Popular Posts