Opera, Here I Come... well, maybe.

To all of you who read that little post I wrote earlier where I explain that I am going to sever my link to opera insofar as my own development as a singer, I have good news for all of you who wagered that I would rescind that self proclaimed edict; I did. Now go and collect all of that money, and thanks for pushing me onward toward personal enrichment; for all of you who did not root for me with your capital, all I can say is... you missed out on the most lucrative business deal of the decade.

As I told you in another previous entry, I promised that I would ask about performing opera at my local community theatre. Today at lunch with the Executive Director, and my close friend, Jay, who shall remain devoid of surname for now, I inquired as to the aforementioned possibilty. He informed me that he could see them doing an operetta, such as The Mikado or something else in English (Johann Strauss' Die Fledermaus sounds like a universal choice. It is in German, but numerous translations abound for the inquisitive performer or benefactor who wants to mount the production.), but before they stage a full-length opera, they would have to guage the support they would receive for such a production. I mentioned Henry Purcell's Dido and Aeneas (I am reading Virgil's The Aeneid at the moment for those of you who are interested in my literary perusals.) naturally since it is relatively short and in English, which are two sides of the triangle to be decided before we could do something like this, and my friend did not dismiss the suggestion, so I am going to try and mange more of the equation to give the theatre a push in the desired direction. I shall keep my readers posted as to the developments as they happen.

In other matters, namely the Metropolitan Opera's upcoming season, I am anxious to see what performers will fill out the remaining casts that have principals yet to be announced. Concerning their current season, for all of you who go to the Met, you can go to the final dress rehearsal of Vincenzio Bellini's La Sonnambula starring Natalie Dessay and Juan Diego Florez on February 27th for free. Tickets are required, however, and these can be obtained at no cost from the Met's box office starting on the 22nd. This is a new production, and it will be broadcast over the radio and into cinemas worldwide on March 21st, 2009. I would really like to see that in theaters, so I hope to see you all there.

-Tyler.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm very happy that you didn't let your dream go. "Die Fledermaus" is absolutely hilarious and I recommend. Northern Plains Opera Co. did it at our local college and it was really great!
Tyler Barton said…
Rae-Mae,

Thank you for your comment and endorsement. What singer can really ever stop singing?

-Tyler.

Popular Posts