A Few Randomly Collected Thoughts

I am elated at the thought of my vacation in New York next year, and the reason for this is the fact that I received the Met's performance schedule in the mail a few days since, and I see that I also have the choice of seeing La Boheme and Lucia di Lammermoor in addition to Renee Fleming in Rossini's Armida. Puccini's masterpiece promises a refreshing cast, and Natalie Dessay sings the role of Lucia in Mary Zimmerman's production, which is probably her best for the Met thus far. I do not know wheter or not the friend who is accompanying me there has ever been to the Met to see an opera, though he has been to NYCO to see La Boheme, but I think this is an admirable set of performances with which to begin my attendance of opera performances, which I hope shall one day become frequent. I am not one to take pictures without reason, but I may perhaps lay that rule aside and capture everything with an image to commemorate my experience.

For the present I am occuppied with rehearsals for High School Musical, and I must say that they have proven difficult at times, but I begin to see the rewards of our demanding rehearsal schedule. We are performing for four weekends, which is rather unusal to those of us who have performed here at Poteet for very long since we are accustomed to only three.

Henry Purcell's aria When I am Laid in Earth has been voted as Great Britain's favorite opera aria through a poll on BBC Radio 3. Their eleven favorite arias are as follows: 1. When I am laid in earth (Dido and Aeneas, Purcell)


2. Dove sono (Marriage of Figaro, Mozart)

3. Liebestod (Tristan and Isolde, Wagner)

4. E lucevan le stelle (Tosca, Puccini)

5. Casta diva (Norma, Bellini)

6. Song to the Moon (Rusalka, Dvorak)

7. Che faro senza Euridice? (Orfeo ed Euridice, Gluck)

8. Der holle Rache (Magic Flute, Mozart)

9. Ruhe sanft, mein holdes Leben (Zaide, Mozart)

10. Gluck das mir verblieb (Die tote Stadt, Korngold)

11. Mon coeur s'oeuvre a ta voix (Samson and Dalila, Saint-Saens)
 
I cannot help but to hope that these people were considering the interpretation of Rusalka's Song to the Moon by Renee Fleming when they chose it as number 6. Voters were probably recalling either Diana Damrau or Natalie Dessay when they elected Der holle Rache to the list since these two performers are most often associated with this aria.

That is all for the present as the demands of time pull me elsewhere, but thank you all for continuing to read my posts.

-Tyler.

Comments

Popular Posts