Renee Fleming to Make Broadway Debut in 2015

(Image Courtesy of broadway.com)
     It was announced yesterday that opera diva, and my personal favorite soprano, Renee Fleming shall make a debut on Broadway in 2015 in a new play. Entitled Living on Love, Fleming plays in a leading role she originated for the play's first performances. It follows the lives of two artists who are married to each other who each fall in love with their assistants, according to The New York Times.

     Written by Tony Award winner Joe DiPietro, Living on Love takes its comedic drama from the tension between an opera star and her husband, a maestro, while the latter has been assigned a young female assistant to assist him in ghostwriting his autobiography. Naturally jealous, as divas tend to be portrayed, the diva hires her own male assistant to ghostwrite her own autobiography, and he is quite the handsome young man to cause her husband to notice their budding relationship.

     Devoted aficionadi of Ms. Fleming's exquisite soprano voice shall be pleased to discover that the play does feature her singing at moments throughout the performance. Performances are scheduled to commence officially on April 20, 2015, but previews start rather earlier on the first of the aforementioned month at the Longacre Theatre, which presently plays host to the revival of You Can't Take it With You, which sees its final performance on February 2, 2015. With this scheduling, it comes just after Renee's starring in Franz Lehar's The Merry Widow, which is a gala production for the new year at the Metropolitan Opera. Of course, any astute observer of her career will note that this transition into assuredly lighter fare than even her last season at the Met undeniably denotes the recession of this glorious soprano's career upon the opera stage. My heart mourns for this product of reality, but I remain immensely grateful that I was blessed to see her perform in a veritable diva role in Gioacchino Rossini's Armida at the Metropolitan Opera in 2010.

     For my part I am delighted to witness this foray into new artistic realms for my most cherished of opera singers who introduced me to this art form that I adore with such ardent passion, and I might even say that I am somewhat excited to see what opportunities this brings to her as the future continues to visit all of us. Hopefully, this shall prove to be a marvelous surprise for all of us who welcome it as a continuation of a favorite diva's continued career.

     As ever, I pray all of my readers continue to remain amply blessed in every facet of life, and I keep all of you in my thoughts. If you are so inclined, feel at liberty to include your thoughts about this latter part of Fleming's career or your expectations for this play in the comments section below, and I wish all of you a merry Christmas!

Comments

Popular Posts